Quiche is a food that I particularly enjoy for breakfast and brunch (actually, any meal really), and it’s something that allows you the advantage of being able to make a day or two ahead of time. Crab quiche is one of my favorites, and I love the interplay between the sweet crab meat, the salty savoriness of the gruyere, and the madeira. The addition of green onion and red bell pepper makes for some nice color contrast in the final quiche product.
One third to one half pound Dungeness crab meat
One half red bell pepper, chopped
One half shallot, finely chopped
Three tablespoons chopped green onion
Two small cloves chopped garlic
One half cup shredded gruyere
One cup heavy whipping cream
One tablespoon tomato paste
Some Madeira cooking wine
Pastry crust (I use Julia Child’s quiche crust recipe)
1. Cook the green onion, garlic, pepper, and shallot in butter for several minutes on medium high heat.
2. Add crab meat and 1/4 cup Madeira wine. Cook for 3 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, and tomato paste.
4. Add crab meat mixture into cream/egg liquid. Whisk together.
5. Add salt, pepper, and ~1/3 of the gruyere to the mixture.
6. Pour into half-baked quiche crust and bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
7. At 25 min mark, remove quiche from oven and top with gruyere. Put back in oven and back for another 10-15 minutes, until crust and topping is browned.
The finished product. Allow ample time to cool after removing. Then, enjoy!