Construction on the Bibi Khanym Mosque was completed sometime between 1399-1404, under the orders of Timurlane, after a successful raid on Delhi. The mosque is named after Timurlane's Chinese wife. At one point, it was one of the largest mosques in the Islamic World and it's minaret was the largest in the world. The cupola of the main chamber reaches a height of 40 metres, and the entranceway is 35 metres high.There is a gigantic marble Qur'an stand in the center of the courtyard. According to legend, there were more than 90 elephants employed to haul jewels for use in the construction of the mosque. Over the centuries, it gradually fell into disrepair and completely collapsed during an earthquake in 1897. It was reconstructed during the 1970's, but still is badly in need of further TLC.